Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Scoop!

So the mystery is over... how do moms have time to blog? 
    They don't sleep.

I have been talking about starting this blog for two months and finally did it-- at midnight.  No, this is not because I have spare time on my bored, little hands and need something to do.  No, this is definitely not because I am an expert seamstress, the next Top Chef, or offspring of Martha Stewart.  My hair is not perfect, I've had my share of cooking failures, and Joanne Fabrics intimidates me.  I have a lot to learn. 

I confess...
-- in my house the TV is on Nick Jr for a solid 2 hours in the morning.  Must. Drink. Coffee.
-- when I first met my husband I could barely make macaroni and cheese.
-- if you see me running errands there's a 99.9% chance that I am in black yoga pants, a half zip pullover, and have not yet showered.  I hate wearing jeans.
-- and just last year I learned to sew a button.  Ok I take that back.  I made up my own method and am not even sure if the button stayed on.

So this whole blog idea hit me when I made the big leap from working woman to stay at home mom.  Well, it didn't quite feel like a leap.  More like jumping into the deep end of a cold pool without knowing how to swim. 
I was scared. 
Hesitant. 
I did not want to fail. 

Don't get me wrong, it felt natural to stay home with my children.  I was proud!  Instantly, I had a laundry list of things to do to entertain my two year old daughter while keeping on a newborn's schedule! 
Wait... no I didn't.  There was no list. 

Nothing.

Let me clarify.
My to-do list already consisted offeeding, burping, cooking, chasing, laundry, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, teaching, diapering, dishes, dusting, potty training, organizing, handling finances, grocery shopping, dog watching, bathing, planning.... all while keeping my daughter in sight to avoid our newborn from becoming her next baby doll!

Notice I did not mention: showering, exercising, eating or socializing
Hah...showering. 
Haha. 
Let's be honest.  When you are home all day trying to accomplish a million things at once, the last thought that crosses your mind is 'I need to wash my hair'.  Typically if you do find a moment to pause and consider this seemingly impossible task, the moment lasts milliseconds before someone cries, needs to potty, or you realize there is water boiling over on the stove. 

Back to the point.  Now that I am a mere 3 months into the whole SAHM world, I need to get productive.  I need to feel as though my day consists of more than running around after my kids, and cleaning up their mess as they go.  I think it is important to interact with your children; to give them time each day, even for just 15 minutes, of undivided attention as you accomplish a task together.

My goals:
  • create or discover crafts, recipes and activities that parents and children can do together
  • teach problem solving skills, patience and responsibility
  • work age appropriate school lessons into simple daily tasks
  • avoid boredom!
Some ideas will be simple, some may take hours, but each one will involve parent and child interaction.

This is my journey to keeping the little hands in my house busy!

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, I have added you blog to my list of blogs that I read!

    ReplyDelete